Positive coping skills and finding joy in Life


We all know that the shadow of depression can haunt us for months, years and it feels like a lifetime. What I didn't know back when I was battling my suicidal depression was that I can control the way that I cope. My only coping skill years ago used to be overdosing. I have lost track of how many times I've tried killing myself. I'm alive for a reason but back then I didn't know. Any little thing, a break-up, a bad day, an argument with my sister was just a good enough reason to pop all those pills. I didn't want to deal with it. I have learned now in my journey of mental health recovery that although it may be hard to control all those unbalanced chemicals in my brain, I can control the way that I cope. One of my best coping skills has been my spirituality and meditation, believing and praying to my higher power, exercise, family and friends support, support groups, online networking with other mental health consumers, writing in my journal and taking pictures of all my happy moments. Yes, I have plenty of happy moments and those are the ones I hold onto. Now 32 years later, I have found the joy with in. I can laugh at the top of my lungs, have laughing attacks. I love to smile, spend time with my loved ones and just enjoy life. If the shadow of depression is still haunting you; take a moment and reflect. How can I change the way that I cope? Suicide can’t always be the only way out because hope is eternal and blessings still come our way. Things get better, trust me they do. Life is so beautiful so we must live it abundantly. Think about some of your goals, we all have goals, think of the people who love you, come on think people love you, think of who would miss you if you were gone. Come on friends take action and take change into you mental health recovery because I know that you can cope in a positive way. Just believe in yourself and soon you will discover how beautiful you are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hallucinations and Illusions: The Horns on the Virgin of Guadalupe

The Shaman

When you Neglect Yourself