A Poem about Depression out of Sight and Welcoming the Light


I promised myself after my last suicide attempt that I would never do it again
I almost lost my life and now I have learned how to live
Sometimes I begin to slip into that dark place
In which I isolate, lock myself in my room, cry, scream.
I don't want to get out of bed. I don't want to shower or put on make up
It's just me and depression
And so two days later and stand tall and say:
NO MORE! I REFUSE TO GO BACK TO THAT DARK PLACE!
AND SO, I WELCOME THE LIGHT
That light is God
That light is my soul
That light is my mother
My sisters
My brothers
My friends
My co-workers
Career
My dreams
My goals
The light of tomorrow
And so when I begin to welcome the darkness
I welcome the light
DEPRESSION OUT OF SIGHT!
No more! It's over!
You will not conquer me!
I will destroy you!
So let me speak
I am a warrior
A survivor
A soilder
Depression will not take the best of me
Go away you wicked beast!
Live in this beautiful world
To my life I will embrace
The bright light and rainbow of today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hallucinations and Illusions: The Horns on the Virgin of Guadalupe

The Shaman

When you Neglect Yourself